#MakeADent is India’s biggest citizen journalism contest promoting positivity brought to you by Happydent & News18.
This is a one of a kind competition that urges all citizens of India, to share self-shot videos and pictures of positive change, local changemakers, shining light on them and bringing these stories to the fore to inspire many more to follow.
10 lucky winners who will be judged by a renowned jury will win cash prizes.
Anyone who: Wants to bring about a change or has a knack for capturing heartwarming stories. You must be 18 years of age and an Indian citizen to be eligible.
You can submit your entries on www.news18.com/makeadent. Enter your username, email, phone number along with the option to upload the entry in the form on the site. OR You can also submit your entries (either image-based or video-based) on Instagram using the hashtag #MakeADent and tagging @CNNNews18 and @happydentind
If you are submitting the entries via the website, you will need to add a short Happydent template (either at the beginning or the end of the video) that is available on the site and can be downloaded and stitched to your videos. The addition of the Happydent template is essential for your entry to qualify.
If you are submitting the video entries via Instagram, you need to use the #MakeADent Insta Filter, as part of a segment of the video. Happydent is helping throw light on various social issues and thereby encouraging citizens to do something about them. The filter needs to be only a part of one segment of the video and need not be used throughout. You’ll also need to use #MakeADent and tag @CNNNews18 and @happydentind in your entry.
If you are submitting image-based entries on the website, you need not use any filter or template. The picture needs to capture the crux of the story and a short writeup must be included along with the picture that will describe the entire story behind the picture, be it about an individual or group of individuals bringing about change.
If you are submitting image-based entries on Instagram, you need not use any filter or template. The picture needs to capture the crux of the story and a short writeup must be included in the caption along with the picture that will describe the entire story behind the picture, be it about an individual or group of individuals bringing about change. You also need to use #MakeADent and tag @CNNNews18 and @happydentind in your entry.
You can submit more than one image if it helps build the story better. On social media, these images can be submitted as a carousel and on the site, you can upload multiple images.
Yes, users can submit their entries in either English OR Hindi.
If you are participating on Instagram it will be public. The best and winning stories will be shared across our website, TV channels, social media handles and other platforms. News18 and Happydent will reserve the right to use your entries for promotion.
For Video based entries – All entries to be qualified will be judged upon the originality of the story talked about, its social relevance and impact, use of audio-visual techniques to present the story in the best possible manner, language and presentation skills.
For Image-based entries – All image-based entries will be judged on the originality of the story talked about in the caption/writeup supporting the picture, its social relevance and impact, the quality of the photograph and the creativity demonstrated in succinctly capturing the story visually and of course language and presentation skills. To create a winning story, here are some Do’s & Don’ts you can refer to.
- All entries on Instagram should include the mandatory hashtag and handle tags. ( #MakeADent and @CNNNews18 and @happydentind )
- Video entries need to be in a vlogging format, wherein the person creating the entry needs to talk about the story, what is the issue that is being made right and the focus should be on the individual or group of individuals who are taking the action.
- Your Instagram profile should be public for us to be able to capture your entry.
- Please take consent of the person(s) featured in the video/image for your entry to qualify for further evaluation.
- If your entry is shortlisted you will need to share the contact details of the person(s) featured in the video/image. Kindly keep it handy.
- Entries should be created in the manner of a narrative - typically how reporters, journalists, and vloggers create their videos when they feature someone else in their video/report.
- All entries need to show some issue of society which is being made right by the individual or group of individuals.
- Featuring a short byte/short interview/conversation with the individual who is actually taking action is encouraged for video-based entries
- Entries should ideally not be about the acts of the creator themselves. Meaning – The video/image should not be about the one who is shooting it, but should feature the individual(s) who are taking the action.
- Video-based entries should not be more than 5 to 7 min.
- Video entries on Instagram must use the #MakeADent filter for the entry to qualify.
- Video entries on the website must use any of the Happydent templates provided on the website to qualify.
- We are not looking at entries - JUST showing charity or some random act of kindness without any context.
- Use of music etc is not mandatory and should not be the only audio used. What we need is narration and reporting format-based stories, not music-based reels.
- Entries should not feature any competition brands of Happydent (like chocolate brands, chewing gums etc) or any other prominent brand per se.
You can read the terms & conditions here.